Thursday, November 30, 2006

In Search of Love

At a pre-wedding dinner party the girls talk about the wedding preparation, the dress, the venue, the reception, anything that is wedding related. On the far side of the table where the guys are seated, the conversation is the total opposite. Boys talk about everything else but the wedding. They try to not remind the groom that in a few days, he will no longer be a member of the single male species who roams about the wonderful forest girls.

I watch as the bride and groom interact throught dinner. The groom is my best friend, the bride is sometimes jealous of me still. I try to find traces of undying love and devotion among the two. I fail miserably. Which makes me wonder, why marry at all then?

In the era where divorces are plenty, and kids are used to broken homes and 2 pairs of parents why get married when you're not even sure if you love that person? Or even when you know that you don't love that person? There is no simple answer for this. One person said, "I was pregnant and I didn't want my child to born out of wedlock so I marry him..." The other said, "I can tolerate her. I'm comfortable, what more can you ask?" Another said, "He takes care of me. I know that I'll be set for life when I marry him..."

Funny that. I thought I'd hear a bit more about love and relationship and being together and ladidadida. It seems that marriages in the modern age are ones that are based on practical reasons. It is a form of economics; a validation of adulthood. It saddens me to see that the bride marry the groom because she thinks that it's the right thing to do, that even if he's not sure of his love for her... her love will be enough to carry them through. It saddens me that they enter this new stage in their love without really knowing each other. It saddens me that no matter how much more advanced we are, love doesn't always win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I can spend 1001 nights talking about this, the concept of love, romance, comfort, etc. One thing I know for sure, falling in love is not enough. At least that's what I learned from my divorced friends. A good topic to be rehashed over coffee and whiskey. Next year my friend, next year...

ss