Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Shopping for a tan


Sunday, June 25th

When people heard that I'm going to Bali, I was assigned to do some shopping. In case you didn't know, Bali is known to be a shopping heaven. Not only for the surf brands, but also for sarongs and other stuff. There are tons of fake stuff, of course, after all it is part of a third world country, but that's what makes it so interesting and fun. Don't forget the art of bargaining (which I'm really bad at)...

The whole day today is spent in sizing the streets of Kuta hoping to get a tan. Yeah, I know, I know.... I'm a loser. But hey, how can I be in Bali and not get a tan?? I only need a little bit, and hell there's very little chance I can get that in Ubud. In the name of getting a tan, I walked in and out of shops always walking on the sunny side of the street. A few shoppings bags later and nothing happened. Nothing.

What was I going to do? I wasn't ready for a beach day, and all my shopping was done. I spent a lot more than I should, and ended up with heaps more than I can carry. But I had 4 hours to kill before meeting up for coffee with an old friend, my tan wasn't happening and this called for drastic measures.



I dropped all my shopping back in the car, which was conveniently parked on Kuta beach and walked to the beach. I couldn't remember when the last time I was out there. Kuta to me was synonymous with dodgy massage ladies, dirty surfy boys and I dreaded going there alone. What happened after was completely different; I rented a mattress from some dude for 1 USD (which I was told later to be too expensive) and l lay under the sun with my iPod and a book. It worked beautifully. If only I was more prepared... I could be getting a full on tan! And a nice one, too for that matter. You know where your whole body is tanned?? Legs and all?

Want to know what the biggest lesson out of this is? I could've spared myself the retail treatment, spent money on a pair of bikinis, a beach towel and sun block instead and I would end up with a nicer tan and a few millions extra.

No comments: