Saturday, May 27, 2006

Mutants

Some of you would have figured that I just watched X-MEN simply from the title of this post. The more serious film watchers would scorned at my choice of movie to discuss on this post, but that movie is cool, entertaining and has good special effects. That's not the only reasons why I liked it a lot though. The main reason why I liked it so much is because for a movie so heavily ridden with sfx and the latest technological advances, it had a very humane element to it.

Mutants VS Humans. It's a century old concept which revolves around "the other". We are often scared of what we don't know, of people we've never seen before, of places we've never been. In many ways, gender or racial discriminations are very similar to the struggle of the mutants. We often judge those who are different from us, simply because we fail to understand them; or even worse because we don't want to take the time to understand them. We go to wars often blinded by our own ignorance. We, too struggle individually against the uniformity around us. The pressure to constantly 'fit in' with the rest of the world; where the media portrays girls who are stick thin and guys who are buffed and good looking. It is hard to acknowledge the mutant within ourselves. Just like Rogue left Xavier School for 'the cure', we also attempt to find our own magic formula.

Prof. X's battle is still very current in today's real world. A world united, regardless of race or gender or nations, where it is acceptable to be different and advisable to enrich each other through difference. It is a world where difference matters and indifference goes out the window.

Maybe I read too much into this world of mutants and super powers action heroes, but to me I see the relevance of it no matter how shallow in my world. At least it reminded me, that I am a mutant too -- fighting everyday for my own identity, constantly searching for my better self which in turn, I hope, will contribute for a better world. Darn! That's high and mighty!

No comments: