Thursday, October 19, 2006

Life Imitates Art

Sunday, October 15
Today is Broadway Day. New York is Broadway and as cheesy as they are, you can't help falling for musicals. I know I can't help myself. I love them. I wanted to be one of them. I think that being able to sing and dance and entertain people is one of life's greatest gift and I admire those who can. Broadway is THE place for it. There are tons of show to watch and at some point you have to make a choice; and I chose the classics. RENT. One thousand twenty five thousand six hundred minutes. For a play that originated in the early 90s, it is amazing how relevant it is still today. Mark Cohen, who used work as an excuse to hide himself from failure of living. Maureen and Joanne who has to work on the intricacies of a relationship; be it same sex or straight and all the power play that comes with it. Mimi and Roger with past baggage needing to move on to the present. Drugs. HIV. Death. At some point of my life, I was one of those characters -- working and trying to deal with all sorts of issues which ultimately becomes a quest of finding love. To search for love of oneself, for others, for your significant other. To seek love.

I can relate to that.

CHICAGO. It is a musical that relies heavily on the performers and they were the best of the best. There was no fancy set design, no crazy costumes just talented performers singing, dancing, acting to their best. Great choreography, and fantastic lighting design. These are the exact reasons why I love theatre. For a few hours, I was transported to a different world. I was reminded of why I love theatre.

I should get back to that.

No comments: