Monday, September 25, 2006

LA Weekend

Today is the end of my first overseas weekend. The City of Angels is yet to work its charm for me, but I'm sure my time will come as I start tomorrow being businessy and meeting people and stuff, and hopefully get a feel of what living here is like.

Rewind.

Fri, Sep 22

I arrived in LA on Friday morning. Immediately things went wrong. My luggage, yeah the only luggage that I have got lost somewhere and they couldn't figure out where. (All I had was a number and small toiletries kit with an aplogy from MW). My mom's kolintang trainer was called in to immigration for more questioning (that delayed our departure from the airport for about an hour) and the guy who picked us up was really annoying. We went to lunch straight away, joined by my dad and his friends. We parted after and continued to be driven around Hollywood Hills, Grauman Chinese theatre, Rodeo Dr, Wilshire Blvd, etc, etc. Typical. Experienced LA traffic. Sucked. Got to the hotel and the key cards kept failing. I needed to go back to the reception desk 3 times. I wasn't having a good first day. I'm just tired, grumpy and without clean clothes. Can't really blame me for being grumpy.

Sat, Sep 23

Cal picked me up early in the morning. She had to be back by 11am because it was her roomate's baptism that day. I met her roomies; they're all really cool chicks and went to the beach for the baptism and then we all went back to the house for lunch. It was a really nice party. Lotsa people came and I got to know some of Cal's friends. Yeah, hangin out with the locals...No news from NW. Still hanging out in borrowed clothes. People cleared the house around 3pm and a few horus later Cal, Katie, Priya and I decided to walk to Venice Canals. Sigh. It was an amazing voyeuristic walk into people's homes. Great designs, cozy homes, great view. Another sigh. A mexican take out completed the day.

Sun, Sep 24

Mosaic was amazing. I heard an amazing sermon; something that hasn't happened for a while, but then again I haven't really been going. Finally got something from NW, it will reach me from about 1pm. Cal gathered some people together to go to the Abbott Kinney Street Festival, but because we had to wait for my luggage people kinda dropped out. Sorry Cal! Had lemonade and had the best pizza this side of town (according to Cal) and did plenty of walking. The weather was soooo nice. It was sunny but fresh and cool. It was beautiful to be outside. I got Erwin to join us and ended up hangin with him the whole day. It was good seeing people you haven't seen for a while. Even if in actuality you really haven't seen him for more than 10 years.

Here I am typing senseless words about my last few days. I can't write anything profound just yet. There are a few things I'd like to write about but I need to ponder on it a little bit more, hopefully tomorrow I'll get to catch up on some writing and let you all feel my LA impression.

Until tomorrow...

No comments: