Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A few hours of fame

I was a celebrity for a few hours yesterday. At least I got to learn about what those celebrities feel like when flash lights and journalists bug you for a never ending photo-op and interview requests. Ha! That wasn't fun at all. It was for a book launch and we were 2 nobodys and yet the media was doing their job.

My friends were teasing me about being a famous author and a celebrity and stuff. Thwy do that because they knew that it would get to me. They know how much I despise these 'celebrities' and their moments of fame; of how often people received credits not because of their work but because of their looks. Not to say that we have the looks, but one of the reason why I wanted yesterday's event to be low key was because of that. I was afraid that the marketing hype created over the book clouds the actual work (even if the work isn't THAT fantastic). It's just my first work and I didn't want to scream about it...

Maybe it was the fear of being shunned and abused because the work is crap. Maybe it was the fear that people will see me differently because of what I write. Maybe I'm scared that I will be seen as less of the person that I am. Alas, all is out there. Someone once told me that an artist has to learn to part with his work when the time comes. That time was yesterday.

It felt good when the whole thing was over. It felt better knowing that I only have two more days in this town before I leave for North America. My co-author will have to deal with more press while I'm gone. That feels good. I don't like that celebrity treatment. Maybe I'm just lacking that star quality... but, yeah this feels good. It feels right.

No comments: