Tuesday, July 04, 2006

You're my Inspiration

Somebody I knew 5 years ago suddenly sent me a text message a few days ago. A raincheck. We do that from time to time. Until he mentioned that in the 5 years we've known each other, we've only seen each other once. Which was the day period of time where we worked together. We clicked back then, when he was merely a film school student getting work experience and I was a PA starting out in the industry. We've gone a long way since then.

We met again last night. He's not as skinny a before. He looked a little older, a lot wiser. We were talking about everything and nothing when he said, "You inspired me." That shut me up immediately. He looked at me intensely. "I always admired your guts for life. Your whatever attitude and that daring I don't give a toss.." He told me that when he heard about my travels, he secretly made a promise to himself that one day he's going to be there as well. And the main reason that he really wanted to see me that night was to tell me that he's done it. He kept his promise to himself.

I didn't know what to say.

As I'm sitting here writing this post, my mind is thinking hard of the people who inspired me. My dad, my uncle, my ex boyfriend, my Performit gang, my team in the office, my ex boss, the list goes on and on. What I realised after last night was it didn't take very much to inspire others. We often think that we have to do something great like Gandhi, Mother Teresa, etc -- but truth of the matter is, to inspire is to touch other people's lives; to raise something within themselves that they don't know existed. I could inspire something even when I only met him once in five years... It must've been easier than I thought...

No comments: