Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Advertising Moments

Why am I in advertising? I often asked that question when I feel weary and sick of the bull that goes around. The sucking up. The "marketing". The "arse-licking". But my few years in the industry have also brought me great experiences and plenty of opportunities. I wouldn't have traveled to China or Thailand otherwise. I wouldn't know so many cool people from all around the world. Advertising puts us in such a temporal world. Our life story is told within 30 seconds, and therefore in those fleeting seconds everything is intensified, hyperboled; a major roller coaster ride on e and acid joined together. Not that I know what's that like. Really.

With things that are happening of late, I tried to think long and hard about the decisions I needed to make. An attempt to be rational and wise, and more mature. All of the above failed. I've operated on "the moment" principles for far too long that it's difficult to shift gear and be a rational adult. Maybe it's just something about myself that I need to embrace; my strength as a human being -- to enjoy the brief moment of ecstacy and cross the bridge when I get there.

Someone very wise taught me that.

No comments: