Monday, August 28, 2006

Parallel Worlds

Maybe someday I'll get to understand it better. How can a single girl from Indonesia experience a similar thing with a total stranger from North America, and I get to read about it from the wonderful world of bloggers? I suppose regardless of age, gender, nationalities or culture, human beings experience a common struggle. Things like fitting in, self-identity, fear of committment, relationship enxiety, are all alike to most of us. SOURandSWEET was made known to me by faetryn; I don't know her, all I know is I can relate to her struggle and it's comforting to know that someone somewhere feels the way I do. Bizarre, I know. But cool all the same.

So, here's an edited excerpt from her blog that is very relevant; and often happens in my life, not exactly.. but more or less. That whole ego boosting experience?? I can totally dig that!

Enter my current situation. There is a guy at my soon-to-be-former workplace that I’ve flirted with from my arrival. Harmless you could call it, at first, until yesterday when he asked me out. You see, ever since I told him I was leaving, he’s been laying on thicker than normal. “Well, what’s wrong with that?” I can hear you asking. To which I will answer with another question — why would you get onto a plane that you knew was rife with mechanical failures and is garunteed to fall apart mid-air? Crashing and burning is inevitable. I know it is not worth it, yet I find myself, instead of leaving well-enough alone, wanting to push things as far as they can go without anything ever “happening.”

So this guy thinks I’m cute, he wants to take me to dinner and pick my brain, wants to take me home and pick other things. And why do I respond? ‘Cause it’s a stroke to the feminine ego (and you thought maybe that didn’t exist?). But what of him? Have I found in him anything that is worth a response? Not necessarily, yet as I was at the grocery store last night, I realized I was walking with a lighter step in my foot, streams of confidence overflowing — ’cause someone finds me attractive right now? Oh. I start to feel a little crushing sensation, something’s wrong.

So, I’m at a bit of a crossroads right now. Boy, the flight crew of that plane sure look friendly (and cute), but in this case with discretion definitely being the better part of valor, it seems like the wiser choice to let this plane leave and continue to wait at what seems like a rather remote airport, for a plane that might withstand the flight.

1 comment:

Sandra Vahtel said...

Hey Cynth -- wow, thanks for quoting me so extensively on your blog. I don't know your particular situation, but I hope you find your way through it. And it is oddly comforting to know that human nature transcends borders and social mores, etc. Glad you stopped by!