Wednesday, August 16, 2006

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY

28 years and 14 days ago, a baby was born into this world. It was after torturing the mother for close to 20 hours that a loud cry broke out in the delivery room and I was born. 20 hours of labour must have signalled the kind of life the baby is going to live after, although at that time both parents were relieved that the whole ordeal was over.

In retrospect, life has always been kind to me. Living in a crazy city like Jakarta is never easy and even the safe streets of Melbourne a few years ago had its own dark secrets. I survived youth; the acne proned teenage years where peer pressure ruled all throughout university days where being foreign in a foreign country brought gazillion of experiences. It was days on stage, half asleep during tutorials, learning to drink my first pint of guiness, nuddy run in the woods, endless cups of coffee and falling in love. I had my heart broken and broke a few hearts along the way. I cried through my first job, lost a lot of my social life whilst working on my career only to stop at one point and paused.

I'm still in pause mode.

People change as they grow older. Some becomes more impatient, some becomes kinder. Some more focused, some simply choose to be more open for other things life has to offer. Some settles down, some believes that freedom is more important than anything. Some falls in love, some opts for celibacy.

I know I'm turning into something. Like the ugly worm that's slowly turning into colourful butterfly, I can feel my whole body and soul being turned inside out into something I'm not really sure of. I kinda like not knowing. The last 28 years of my life had been pretty friggin' amazing I wouldn't trade it for anything else. In pause mode I get to stand back and enjoy not knowing, simply being grateful for the things that happened and the better things that will come.

Happy Belated Birthday to me..
P.S. Thank you for the most amazing coffee on my birthday...

1 comment:

Faetryn said...

First of all - you, acne prone teenager? so not true. Second - that coffee does sound amazing tho I reckon the company (who was he?) made it moreso. Three - you know I'm right on the two abovepoints.