Monday, October 17, 2005

Home Sweet Home

In the midst of all the excitement of going to Melbourne and finally meeting people I have not seen in years, something strange happened. As the plane descended over the clear Melbourne morning, I felt nothing. I thought there would be something like joy, or excitement, or anxiety, or longing. But I felt nothing. I couldn't figure it out until lunch time that very day.

As the car that brought me to my old apartment passed through familiar streets, I was amazed of how much things stayed the same. I recognised the same cafes I used to hang out with. On how the bar that I had my going away party expanded to take over the shop next to it. On how nothing in the apartment really changed other than the additional stuff filling up the place. It is very nice to see that instead of things changing, it was more of things adding up, expanding, creating new spaces and new experiences without losing the old one.

It is exactly why I felt nothing. It feels like coming home. And home is never a big thing. It is something you hold dear in your heart and no matter how long you've been away from it, you'll slide back in to it as if you never left.

Home Sweet Home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In that case, maybe we will soon see a change in the title of your blog to C's Melbourne Daily. As someone who has only visited Melbourne once in my life it would be much more interesting for me personally. Jakarta is quite ho hum compared to Melbourne. The only activities Jakarta can offer are shopping, eating, drinking and that's it.