Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Cheap Culture

A photography exhibition attracted my interest a few days ago, and last Sunday I visited the National Museum to catch a glimpse of MASA DEPAN SEBUAH MASA LALU. I was walking to the wrong entrance when the parking guy called me to point me to the right direction. As I walked to the entrance I passed another guy selling Woody ice cream on the side. I made a point of getting some later..

I nearly got a shock when I got to the entrance. The entry fee is Rp 750. At the moment, 1 USD = Rp 10200. Yeah, go figure. This entry fee actually allows me to go through everything in the museum, and not just the exhibition. Isn't that crazy? It is sad to know that a Museum that holds important historical and cultural artefacts can charge so low. It is as if the fact that they keep remains of the past makes it stuck in the past, too. On the one hand, a museum entrance fee should not be steep so that everyone can spend some time in the museum and learn about the days of the previous generation but it should at least charge enough to ensure maintenance of the place itself!!

The exhibition was quite interesting. Nancy Lee is worth checking out for. Within an hour, I walked out and bought myself a Woody ice cream lolly that costs Rp 1500, went to my car and drove off. Parking costs me Rp 2000. The total cost of this Sunday cultural experience Rp 4250 -- about 50 US cents. How hard is it to believe?

4 comments:

Faetryn said...

WOODY ICE CREAM!! talk about a blast from the past. and yeah. the balance has to be struck somewhere so that we still provide great access to national treasures but make enough dough to maintain them. are they in good condition?

Anonymous said...

yeah... the woody ice cream costs even more compared to the museum artifacts, so to speak.. that's kind of ridiculous. Maybe they're getting the money from the parking??

E

Anonymous said...

You have way too much time on your hands visiting that place

Mi (なおみ) said...

belum sempet liat....!! Udah selesai pamerannya... :(