Saturday, January 15, 2005

A good support is all we need...

A friend's birthday forced me to go down the roots if ingenuity in finding the perfect birthday present for her. I think long and hard about this girl, and thought that as she always find it too troublesome to find a perfect bra, I would relieve her of this duty and buy her a nice bra. How hard would it be?

It turned out that as a girl with average size of 'equipment' and no particular fetish for anything lacey or racy, the act of bra shopping was quite simple. But when you're a 36D cup, one has to pause and think for a moment. Firstly, I never realised the variety of style a bra comes in. Alright, I know the lacey stuff, the t-shirt ones, the special sporty but to go down one level and find out about push up, demi bra, 3/4 cup, half cup, full coverage, racerback, second skin, wireless (and I'm not talking tech-lingo here), bralette, triangle???? And then decide the level of comfort against the different level of aesthetics? Oh, this is nice and sexy but doesn't look comfy... Well, this is one is definitely a little matronly but it's smooth and holds them nice.

Aaaaaargh!!! This is too much. When was the last time I had to bra-shop again??

In the modern era of pain strikingly thin super models and the constant bombardment of slimming facilities, a girl has to be strong in handling her own bodily pressures. Not literally, of course. The media does not make it easy for a woman to be appreciated as an individual. We are often reduced to either a set of numbers, or an imagery that's not true to the real woman. We are challenged to 'look' beautiful; with the emphasis on the 'look' rather than the notion of beauty. Who's looking? Why is that person looking? What is she/he looks for? These questions are hardly asked, therefore 'looking beautiful' never goes beneath the surface. It lingers on to the careful styling of an art director and more often not, the amazing works of Photoshop.

So, when a girl goes bra shopping, how does she decide? Something that will make her look beautiful? Or something that will make her feel beautiful? An hour and half later, my grumbling stomach became the deciding factor. As I've always been an advocate of comfort, I stuck to my beliefs and chose a girlie pink half cup. Being philosophical when buying a bra doesn't help much. A girl to its own demise.

For my girlfriend, I'm her demise... Hope you like the bra.
I was too hungry to worry.

Viva Victoria's Secret!

No comments: