Wednesday, January 19, 2005

THE FAMILY

A newly wed friend of mine brought her foreign husband into town. It was his first foray into the wilderness of an Indonesian family. Little did he know that when he married this girl, he got himself a bonus of a dozen new family members who love you and adore you, even only in a sense of duty. The Indonesian family is a very interesting concept to begin with. We pride ourselves in being a country of friendliness, hospitable, and warmth. What we call family reaches far and wide - all the way across many miles, many generations, many cousins, many second and third degrees adoptable members. It is easy to be overwhelmed by it all. Just like what happened to my newlywed friends. They have to come to terms with 'The Indonesian Family', where children will always be loved as children no matter what... Where parents generally have 'post power syndrome' when dealing with their adult children. The concept of a nuclear family exist but never practised. It is quite depressing knowing everyone shares common knowledge of your problems, talked about your family, meddled in it, because they care. We are all one big happy family.

On the upside of it all, it is the universal 'Indonesian Family' solidarity that raised help and care immediately for the Tsunami victims. As everyone is related to everyone, the catastrophe is seen to be affecting everyone in the country. Many parents open their homes for the orphaned children. Many strangers helped names without faces through donations, a box of instant noddle, blankets and medicine.

That's my family. There are times I hated my family for being judgemental and nosy, but deep down I know it's because they love me. Despite my longing to be left alone, someone will always be there for me. That's my one big happy family.

1 comment:

Faetryn said...

haha, i can hear my mom say: "you remember, grand uncle so and so, who is auntie so and so's cousin's uncle?" me: "huh?" -- that auntie doesn't even have any relation to me whatsoever other than she probably at some point used to hang out with my actual aunt who is the sister of my mother.