Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Alien

Several opportunities arise recently to further my career. Some of us are simply lucky when it comes to career. I belong to that category. I worked hard on the opportunity given to be where I am today, but job hunting is an alien concept to me.

People around me are moving on to other places, other countries, other jobs, and that made me wonder whether these are signs for me to do the same. Somebody said that it's always good to check your worth in the market, and if there's a good opportunity I should take it. Again, things fell onto my lap. Somebody is interested in talking to me. Some stranger who has never heard me of me before, has never worked with me. That is an alien process to me.

A conference table. 3 guys on one side of the table, I was on the other side. They grind me with questions, almost like testing me on things that I had no clue about with smiles full of intent. 60 minutes later, I left the room running 'should've, could've, would've' in my head. For the first time in my life, I felt like I had something to prove. I felt like I wasn't good enough. And for those simple reasons, I want that job.

A friend of mine who has worked 20 years in her industry said, "Of course when you worked on something for 20 years, you get to be good at it. But do you have what it takes to take it further and learn something from everyone? It's very easy to fall on the 'I've done it all' trap." That little incident sparked something in me. Something I've almost forgotten; to be challenged, to strive to prove something, to push yourself to new frontiers.

That, is not an alien concept to me.

No comments: