Thursday, December 21, 2006

Commodification of Christmas

Regardless of whether or not one celeberates Christmas, it's hard to escape the holiday season. Special ocassions mean new marketing scheme; I receive a text message from my telecom provider that said that I can choose my christmas ring back tone to get the feeling of the season and along with my latest credit card bill, I have tons of "christmas promotions" sale of gadgets and bags and other stuff. Using the cliche of christmas is the time for giving, retailers and bussines alike bombard customers with list of things to buy, dressed in the red and green of christmasy colours. Even in the nearby supermarket, the deli is putting up a sign saying "Have more time for your family and let us prepare your Christmas dinner" -- you can place an order of roast ham, stuffed chicken and things like that at a nifty price. And yet as I flipped over my morning newspapers, I see full pages of "Merry Christmas" ads from banks, telecom companies with images of friends, family, togetherness and good old traditional Christmas values.

As christmas shopping and gift giving works its magic in full force, creating headaches of what to buy for who, how much, when -- faetryn shared a brilliant idea, "Instead of getting each other gifts, we adopted a family and got gifts for the family members who are obviously much more in need than we are. Because like Vancouver-C said, we don't really need anything, we're used to just buying what we want. And if you and your friends pool together you really can buy gifts for a family of 8!!! And probably still spend less than you would getting each of your friends a gift. Last year i asked friends to not get me gifts and to let me not buy them gifts - instead let's just donate to charities of our choice."

I think that's a bloody good idea. At the very least I like the idea of not surrendering to the numerous christmas catalogue flooding my mailbox.

No comments: