Friday, January 13, 2006

IMPACTFUL

Today I learned about two things: patience and humility. In the process of deciding what is best for my career I had to learn to wait. It seems like an endurance test in staying true to your course and only jump to the right boat when it comes along. In the beginning era of computer games, there was a frog game that I remembered. One frog had to cross the river that was filled with crocodile. There were lots of floating logs for the frog to cross, but it had to be careful not to jump on any crocodile's back. Although speed was essential, caution was even more important.

These past few weeks felt like that. I was afraid that I would be unemployed for too long. There was fear that no one would want to hire me. There was fear that I wouldn't be able to make a living doing what I love doing. I had to keep on reminding myself that patience comes to those who wait.

It did. It really did. On Monday I started work in a great place with a good vibe, and not only that... it's also a place where I feel like I could contribute something. It's a place where I would like to make a difference and not simply be there as a third wheel; redundant and useless. The patience taught me to focus and that concentration resulted in good things.

And when it rains, it pours. Another job opportunity presented itself through a stranger who heard of me through the grapevine. Rather than being boastful, I learned to bow my head and chose the road of humility. It is definitely more difficult to try to get rid of my ego, the proudness of being recognised. It is when things were done in sincerity that people noticed; and good impressions last a long time.

No comments: