Wednesday, January 14, 2009

2009 Resolution

The common question asked throughout New Year's Eve was, "What is your New Year's Resolution?" Most people will answer with the usual stuff like losing weight, spending more time with family, etc. We like the sound of the grand idea of a better future, but often we forget to think about the actual steps required to get to where we want to be.

The grand idea means that we understand the need to have some kind of vision for the future, and not just live life as it is presented to us. The grand idea means that we are interested in the bigger picture, that we understand how one person is a part of a community and that nobody can (...or should) be alone. The grand idea means that there is the notion of common good and we as humans need to contribute to it.

At the same time grand ideas are idealistic notions that are easily forgotten once the year moves on. The want of a better planet, a cleaner air, and a few kilos of your body often side-stepped by the 'really important things' like going out, laundry or a few hours of extra sleep in the morning. After all, a few more hours of sleep does not contradict your desire for a greener environment. You're just sleeping. Inactive. Dormant.

The challenge this year there will be matching the idea with the actions. I'm not a green-head and I don't use all recycled materials, nor do I use eco-friendly products throughout, yet I believe that I could still do something to save the planet. On much smaller scale, there are also a few things that I want to do to make me a better person. It is 2 weeks into the year and already I can see how they are not going to be easy. It needs discipline to change.

2009 is going to be about change.

1. I want to stop using plastic bag for grocery shopping, or any kind of shopping. Therefore I will always carry with me a carry-bag, because you never know when the impulse hits.

2. I want to be more mindful of water wastage. I will limit my shower time to maximum 10 minutes (even if I wash my hair). I will not keep the water running when I brush my teeth and my face.

3. I will write something in Indonesian once a month.

4. I will stop checking out Facebook's status one-liners and write them email whenever I think of them.

5. I will start saving more ($XXXX) every month for South America in 2010.

6. I will built that web site that archives all the work I've done in my career -- if not for future job opportunities, at least for memories.

7. I will do sports twice a week (exact sport to be determined)

2009 will be for change.

No comments: