Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Weekend

The weekend came with a cloud of blues over my head. The thought that I'd have no one and no events to go to, sent me to gloomy mood. This what comes with a fresh new start; new place, newly (yet to acquire friends), new activities. My second weekend comprise of me-activity, me-time. No more complaints of not having enough time for myself. Sunday came with blazing warm sun and cooling breeze, that I just had to go out. Even if only to walk around and do nothing. I ended up in the National Museum of Singapore, without much expectations. I'm not particulary interested in the history of this country, nor the details of its making. It was to my surprise that I found fun, thought-provoking works of contemporary art by local artists greeting me in the museum. There were several installation works that tickle minds about our relationship with the environment; a play of the mundane, image and false perception. It was a very pleasing surprise. Often the best things in our lives happen in the least expected moment.

There was hardly anything special in spending a Sunday afternoon in a museum, nor was it extraordinary to have a latte after walking the halls of the gallery. What makes things special in life is when we are able to appreciate the so-called little unimportant things, the mundane that is often overlooked and be grateful for them. Not so much for the things themselves, but more for our ability to notice them; to learn to see things with fresh eyes and smile at the tiniest moment. Yes, that latte in the museum (though rather pricey) was a very good one... and the whole afternoon at the museum put a big smile on my face until today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was there on Wed but only for 5 hours. Wish I had more time :(

Unknown said...

oops, forgot what my screen name was. This is Jason Moran :P