Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lost In Abbreviation

I finished the third day of my new employment still feeling excited. Good, I thought. I have not regretted my decision, nor having second thoughts. The work is completely new, completely incomprehensible, and the new jargons and details transported me to another world. We're an entity (EVO) which is part of a bigger company (EBU) which has a main system (EOS). Our head office is in Europe (GNV), and we operate out of Singapore (SGP). We have a sister office in London (ELL), and run a global satellite network which is monitored 24 hours by the master control (EVC). My first transmission was a tape playout (TPO) going to Tehran (IRBA).
When asked how I was, my reply was "I'm lost in abbreviation."
Abbreviation, like the greek symbols often used in mathematics, the material codes in chemistry or even morse codes, have a specific purpose. It is like learning a different language in a foreign country. A language is the door of a culture. Learning a few sentences might give you a peek of what's inside, but it takes a mastery of a language to truly appreciates the content behind that door. When we visit a foreign country, or encountering something new, the face of the unknown often conquers curiosity and beats thirst for knowledge. It deters us from finding out and reduces us to passers-by.

When asked how I was today...
T: So, how is it? Clear as mud?
C: No, it's better now. It's as clear as mud after a drizzle.
It is still not clear, but there is not many dirt. And THAT is progress.

No comments: