Monday, September 10, 2007

On Leaving

She sat in the corner one seater couch. She was skinny and petite. There was a nervousness about her. It was early and the office was slowly filling up with people. “Hi… You must be A. You’re new? I’m Cynthia. Nice to meet you.” We shook hands and then I started the SBC tour. It was a few years later when we were at a friend’s BBQ that she held my hand with one hand and told me something in confidence. “I’m leaving. I’m leaving Jakarta for good.”

L: With certain people you just have a good connection and you don’t mind. Like with you. Like the first time I met you.
C: How did we meet again?
L: I still remember that day. It was my first job. The bike? There are 3 versions with different funky supers that constantly got revised.
C: Oh, I remember. It was nice. We were working together. I can’t believe now you’re leaving.
L: I still need to pack.
C: What time is your flight? Is anyone sending you to the airport?
L: No, I’m just going to take a cab. I don’t want anyone sending me.

A text from mum:
SS passed away earlier. He was to wed his son next week.

An email from CTN:
R’s dad just passed away. Thought you should know.

People leave. They leave town or they leave the world. For good. Forever. You get left behind. People come and go. The people I connect with, the places I go… I should be used to this. I don’t. Being left behind sucks. They haven’t left and I missed them already.

No comments: