Friday, March 09, 2007

Strange Encounter

How one meets a friend is always an interesting story. After shower in the gym this morning, I struck a conversation with this girl with a Shirley Temple ringlets. She just had a shower herself and trying to "style" her hair into a desired ringlets. My accent roused her curiousity and she asked, "Where are you from?" The 10,000,000 dollar question in Cynth's life. "Ehmm, from here. You know, Indonesia." She looked at me and gave me a-i-don't-really-believe you kinda look. As usual I went on to explain how I used to study overseas, yadda yadda yadda.

Her name is Anna Lieke. She's from Holland. She is here researching the Dutch insitution for juvenile delinquency in early 20th century for her PhD. One thing lead to another and we just started talking non-stop which resulted in me dropping her off at the National Research Centre around the corner and giving her my business card. "You're the first Indonesian woman I know who drives. Everyone else seems to have a driver." I don't know how many Indonesian women she knows. It can't be very many.

"Maybe we could have a drink sometime...", she said as she grabbed her bag out of my car. Yes, that would be lovely. Hopefully it would happen soon. It's cool to just have that kind of impulsive encounter. Nice. Refreshing.

No comments: