Sunday, June 01, 2008

IN - eating, living

It's hard to go the extra mile to cook something at home, especially if you are on your own. I love grocery shopping and I always end up buying things and keeping them in the fridge forever and ever because my social schedule is never fixed, and I do things on the fly. Last weekend, I planned to be home; to not go out. Yes, call me weird... but I need to plan these things; psyche myself into domesticity and not to succumb to the evil temptations of being 'out'. I made sure I had enough food for breakfast, lunch and dinner to sustain my abstinence from the world that weekend.

Domesticity is a bliss.

Ha! For several days, I spent quality time with myself. I read, did laundry, hung out by the pool, did a bit of writing, and most importantly, ate well. I am not claiming to be a fantastic cook. Most of the time, I imagined what certain things would taste like, see the ingredients sitting in the fridge and come up with something. Cooking is always an experiment, but for the whole of last weekend, it was an experiment gone well.

I will attempt more of these domestic moments. Recently I've just been busy trying to 'have a life' and that's almost always means being out and about, doing stuff. Life gets hectic and it becomes impossible to listen; to the little birds in the morning, to the voices in your head. Last weekend was a good reminder how eating well (IN) can make a lot of difference.

No comments: