Monday, January 29, 2007

The Human Spirit

One wonders why the number of sports spectators keep on increasing every year. Every big championship in any major sporting events keep on trying to break audience records. What is it about sports that is so appealing to watch, so emotionally involving and so addictive?

At yesterday's Australian Open Men's Singles Final, I was reminded once again as my eyes glued to the telly watching Fernando Gonzales ran across court fighting for every points against Roger Federer. Let me tell you what I see. I see fighting spirit, dedication, courage, physical discipline, agility, passion and other types of emotions I can not find words to describe. Watching the two men hitting those strokes I was breathless with anticipation as if I ran where the ball went. When Gonzales threw his racket due to both frustration and failure to hit, I felt for him too.

This probably won't make me watch more sporting events on telly. It was beautiful to see the best qualities of the human spirit to be displayed, though,... once in a while...

P.S. To Whom It May Concern: NO - I'm not watching football every week. Thank You.

No comments: