Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Rough Guide to Being a Professional Bum

In my excitement of becoming a bum, my dear friend Danny managed to slip me a few tips on becoming a Pro-Bum. He's an expert on the topic as he managed to do nothing for 1 year after receiving a fat compensation from his employer, upon receiving his UK working Visa. Somehow he always came up with a legitimate excuse..

The extract below is exactly what he wrote on his email to me a couple of weeks ago. Enjoy!! And those who are interested to add to his tips, please do...

  • Professional bum? :) quite easy really, after a month or so laying about offering ur own critique of daytime soapies and newsbreak presenters and wondering what to do with the day … ur only issues are nothing to watch on TV and the video shops have run out of DVDs for you to rent… then u realise ur bored and have to do something… then it’s the usual moaning about this and that to ur friends. And then you have to get a job cus ur funds are slowly diminishing at an incredible rate. Then out of the blue crazy ideas start popping up in your head.. start a business (unique ones), travel, become a writer with pseudo name/pretend columnist, buy a house/car etc etc.

    When u start getting really excited about meeting up with friends at their workplace for lunch (although u just saw them the previous night or had lunch with them the previous day) that’s when u know ur a professional bum. U can go and have a series of coffees with numerous ppl around the city area one after the other just to kill the boredom and time. (uh do this only once cus it is quite sad!) :)

    But I think the true test is finding that the endless TO DO list that u promised urself u will complete when u finished work and have time for yourself is still the same length after 3 months.

    Hope the above “Rough Guide to Being a Professional Bum” helps. :)
  • 2 comments:

    kat said...

    I have not had much work this last few weeks and I was convinced I would get everything on my To do list done but I haven't. I think I have become a professional bum already?

    Anonymous said...

    so it really did m,ake it into ur blog!!!! hehe

    ///DT